[NSRCA-discussion] [Fwd: Proposal]

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 20:06:52 AKDT 2007

I was competing in Sportsman at the time and it was a LOT of fun. This was
pre-turnaround style now referred to as Ballistic Pattern. Two things
changed. 1988 brought in Expert Turnaround, which I moved to, and Normalized
scoring in all classes, at least at the NATS. The august 1988 K-Factor lists
64 Sportsman, 36 Advanced, 29 Expert, 21 Masters and 53 FAI with 10
contestant finals in both Masters and FAI. The 1992 rulebook brought in
turnaround schedules in all classed with box exits in Sportsman similar to
the present. As for what happened, I can only offer a single opinion from a
limited regional perspective. We were for the most part modelers and Pattern
was the top RC aerobatic competitive AMA event. Many of us were recreational
competitors and a weekend out of town was an enjoyable social activity with
many competitors staying at the same motel and we thoroughly enjoyed dinner
and drinks Saturday evening. Traveling to a contest with 6 or 8 local fliers
was like a rolling circus with a $200 price tag (now it is around $300, for
me).
As we all got older many moved or were unable to continue for a variety of
reasons. The real problem was in failing to replace lower level competitors
as we progressed to higher classes where many still compete regularly (large
Masters class). Turnaround was very difficult to start into without having
already developed the skills necessary to fly many of the individual
maneuvers. Us old guys grandfathered into turnaround and all we needed to do
was reposition some of the maneuver to the box boundary. I saw this same
problem in IMAC locally with many interested people some of which may have
traveled to compete. It takes a fair commitment to learn to fly turnaround
from scratch. You might look at it as the difference between flying a list
of maneuvers (old AMA) to flying a single complete flight plan (turnaround)
from takeoff through landing requiring on-the-fly positioning and heading
maintenance, in the wind even. It takes more than a couple years for most of
us to get comfortable with this unceasing load on our central processor.
I am losing my train of thought. I need to end this and of course pattern
needs to be sold one on one locally, continuously.
Jim Hiller