[NSRCA-discussion] [Fwd: Proposal]

Robert L. Beaubien rob at koolsoft.com
Thu Aug 23 04:42:06 AKDT 2007

Richard / John, See my comments inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of richard
wallace
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:28 PM
To: NSRCA Mailing List
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] [Fwd: Proposal]

> Gotta say though, I'm just not a fan of a national database for

> recording Pattern results. I don't really understand what problem this

> is intended to fix.

If I read what John proposed correctly, this is to give additional value
and incentive to being a NSRCA member.  Being able to participate in a
nationwide ranking system is appealing to me.

> Of course, I'm in the apparent minority that believes that our current

> self-policing system of advancement points is fine, ESPECIALLY now

> that points only count for four years. ...

I agree with you.  I think peer pressure to keep people from Sandbagging
is the best medicine and forced promotions is not needed.

> 2. I don't know that I'd be really interested in seeing my 'national

> ranking'  -- I've  found out enough at the Nats the past several

> years... and 37/44 in Masters tells me enough about where I stand... !

I know I would be interested in my "national" rank as I try to progress
through the classes.

> and one more thing - do we have any volunteers for setting up and

> adminstering this national system? That's not a trivial question or

> issue, especially in a world where (at least some) NSRCA officers are

> in their positions not because they sought the job in order to be in

> charge of stuff, but because there was a necessary job to be done, and

> no one else was willing to step up to do it... I do the Champs

> standings for my District and mostly enjoy it, but it IS a manual

> process. Understand about hooks to automated scoring systems like

> PACSS, but it'll still take initial work and sustainment and then

> fixes to keep it going at the national level... and there are still

> places around the country that still do contest scoring manually...

I would be interested in volunteering my services towards this endeavor.
What would be needed would be a standardized scoring program used by all
CD's that has upload capabilities to a server, and a website to present
the information to the members.  As a software developer, it is a
project I would like to participate in if it were to see the light of
day.  I would also be willing to donate the bandwidth and servers
necessary to make this happen.

> Agree about helping Sportsman and maybe Intermediates be mentored at

> contests- we usually don't have a formal system for that, and more

> would certainly be better.

This already happens to a great extent in D7.  When I showed up at a
pattern contest, Troy Newman took it upon himself to mentor me and I
feel very lucky to have his experience to guide me.  A formal
rule/suggestion/whatever towards this end is certainly not a bad thing.

Also am in violent agreement about the need to grow Pattern at the

grass-roots level one new guy at a time - and most of us need to plow

that field more thoroughly too.

Good stuff - keep it coming!

- Robert Beaubien

- AMA #618061

- NSRCA #4121

-

the

> many....

> Modified from the original proposal . Apparently not many saw it. The
first

> one has been added

> Comments?

> John

> NSRCA 632

> Revive the practice of assigning mentors to Sportsman and Intermediate

> flyers

> At contests, assign an experienced competitor to mentor, call and
advise the

> Sportsman/ Intermediate flyers. This is nothing new, but should be a
part of

> every contest. We should try to provide a connection that will last
past the

> contest.

> As I see it, there are four issues that drasticaly affect the ability
of

> these flyers to compete effectively: aircraft trimming, execessive
throws,

> wings level and centering(also known as flying the airplane, not
letting the

> airplane fly you).

> These flyers have shown the initiative to come out and compete. We owe
them

> (and ourselves) all the help we can throw at them.

> Create a National Database for Pattern

> The database must contain the raw scores of all flights for all
competitors

> by class. The only thing normalized scores are good for is finding the
right

>  finish order for each class at a contest. Raw scores are much better
for

> comparing results even at a contest. For example I finish round one
with a

> 930 and round two with a 985, both to competitor A. Now did I fly a
lot

> better in round two(I thought I did)  or did competitor A flop a stall
turn

> in the figure M in round 2.

> Anyway once you have the raw scores by competitor and class, you can
do the

> following:

> Create a National Ranking for each class based on average points per

> maneuver. Once this is in place and on line, we will have a reason for

> pattern competitors to join NSRCA. you can't tell me that there
wouldn't be

> a lot of interest in seeing who is hot around the country and how you
stack

> up against the competition. I know, the judging isn't always equal but

> that's always been true and we have to live with it.

> The data available on each competitor would include contests entered,

> placing, advance points earned. The districts could extract whatever
data is

> required to ascertain the district champions. We could archive
previous

> years as well.

> Other ways to specify advancement in class become available,
percentage of

> average FAI score, even eventually moving the 10 top-rated pilots up a

> class. Possibilities are endless when you have the data.

> Since the database would only be open to NSRCA members, if you want to
track

> your National standing, joining NSRCA would be a must. If you want to
see

> what the guy nobody heard of that just rolled in from out of district
has

> accomplished, look him up. We've been looking for reasons  to join
NSRCA, I

> feel this is one that could be big and would be worth some investment
in

> time and money. I would be willing to help with such a project
although I

> don't feel like I could take it on by myself.

> Redirect the focus to our international team competition through

> modification of the advancement system

> Modify the advancement process to be consistent through all classes
from

> Sportsman through to F3A. See section two for possible advancement
criteria

> Advancement can be forced by the advancement criteria(see section 2)
or

> voluntary.

> The first year in a new and higher class is an option year. At the end
of

> the option year you can downselect one class for any reason. This has
the

> advantage of being able to try out the higher class for a year without

> committing your entire pattern career. If you discover that the next
class

> is beyond your means( time, money or talent) then you option down the

> following year. If you absolutely refuse to fly your new class, then
perhaps

> you could use the time and money to reintroduce your self to your
wife,

> girlfriend, etc. If you need a goal for the year, focus on making your

> rudder commands instinctive, learn to fly a helicopter, learn to fly
rolling

> circles. You would probably come back a better pattern flyer than when
you

> left.

NSRCA-discussion

NSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.org