[NSRCA-discussion] Old Farts club

James Oddino joddino at socal.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 08:14:22 AKDT 2007

The way I remember it when I started competition, it was based on
control functions not channels. All classes could have throttle,
Class I was rudder, Class II was rudder and elevator, and Class III
was rudder, elevator and ailerons.  In fact most systems used two
"channels" per control function.  Later on people used 4 channels on
elevator. Up, down, up trim, down trim.  This took two "servos".  I
recall that Cliff Bennett in South Bend built a rudder only plane for
his son Dick that used a reed bank and servos that required two
channels, that were far superior to escapement type "servos".
The good old days!
Jim