[NSRCA-discussion] Moving Along, Next Question on Masters

Keith Black tkeithblack at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 21:48:23 AKDT 2007

Well Chris, if you're going to disagree with me I'll never speak to you again!!!  ;-) LOL

Chris, you're very kind and way too gentle.

Maybe it's the people I fly with, but I never perceived the progression from Intermediate to Advanced, in the old schedules, as a "real" problem. Sure, it was a bit scary at first, however learning to come out inverted is something I think Advanced pilots need to get used to. They need at least two or three inverted exits so the jump to the 60% inverted exits in Masters don't blow them away. If pilots aren't ready to give Advanced a try (in the old pattern) then they probably need another year in Intermediate (hence the forced advancement debate).

When I made the jump from Intermediate to Advanced I wasn't very good at keeping my outside pushes straight. The only outside maneuver in Intermediate was the outside loop (and thank GOODNESS we had that). However, after two years of Advanced they became very natural to me and then the transition to Masters was tolerable. I was SO thankful for the elements in Advanced when I took that next step.

I guess we just need a compromise. Make Advanced more difficult than it is now but not as difficult as it was last year. Maybe just changing the 45 degree snap from inverted to upright would do the trick.

Keith