[NSRCA-discussion] Movin' on up !

billglaze billglaze at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 17 10:16:09 AKDT 2007

In High Power Rifle Competition, each advancement must be earned by an average score for four matches that places the shooter in the next higher class.  Advancement is then mandatory.  Records of scores are kept by the NRA.  (Funny what can get done with a membership of almost 4 million.)
I have seen many shooters whose objective was to qualify for the next higher classification, knowing full well that their placement in matches was going to be near the bottom for a long time, until they had "paid their dues" enough to be competitive.  Still, moving up was a badge of honor; and, while sandbagging wasn't unknown, it was an exceptionally minor problem, with the sandbagger usually dropping out of the sport after a relatively short period of time.  Lacking ambition to improve.............................. seems to show a lack of motivation for the sport, overall.
The last sentence is purely my opinion.
Bill Glaze