[NSRCA-discussion] More flexibility in class selection?

Matthew Frederick mjfrederick at cox.net
Wed Aug 15 14:31:55 AKDT 2007

The system already allows for moving to another class for a single contest
due to lack of competition. It would be a bad idea to allow it whenever the
pilot felt like it. Someone would be able to decide instead of flying
Advanced at a contest they would go ahead and fly intermediate. You get a
good enough pilot working the system and he could theoretically win district
champ in 2 classes. There is also a mechanism in place for requesting a
change in class due to an extensive layoff from flying. I could have done
that when I came back last year and started over in sportsman in spite of
being district champ in Novice the last year I competed. I didn't feel
compelled to do that to pilots just starting out even though I had been away
for more than 10 years (yes, I was young when I won district) It would have
ruffled some feathers to say the least, but it was something I had available
to me.

Matt