[NSRCA-discussion] More flexibility in class selection?

rcpattern at stx.rr.com rcpattern at stx.rr.com
Wed Aug 15 13:40:47 AKDT 2007

John,

So what you're saying is it is OK to "park" in Advanced, because you
dont want to in Masters??  I dont understand how you can comment on
this, when you arent even flying Masters.  How do you know how you'd
stack up without trying it first?  Find me some masters guys who
complain about this.  I think once a guy wins the NATS in Masters,
they tend to move up.  They may come back for a year or so, but you
don't see those guys sticking around to win it year after year after
year.  I know that had I won this year, I would've moved up. I'll be
back next year, and just because you finish 2nd one year, doesnt mean
you'll win it the next.  The bar is set high in Masters and it makes
it fun.  I knew the first time I made the masters finals that it was
an accomplishment.  Flying on the last day of the NATS is an
impressive achievement.  Every year you see new guys break in at the
finals, and its fun.  There are usually a couple of carry overs, but
not always and you see guys that made
the finals last year, missing the cut this year. So I dont see what
the "parking" is doing for them?  Masters at most contests is the
largest class.  And usually also the most competitive.  I dont see
this is as legalized sandbagging.  They are 2 different things.  FAI
is a class unto itself. The level of preparation is a lot higher. A
lot of districts have now gone to flying the F pattern on sunday at
contests, which means twice as many patterns.  Yes, I'll admit, I
could probably fly P or F and fly mid to upper 900's against these
guys...and have done it in the past.  However, I love the competition
in masters.  When I moved to district 6, I didnt hear one person
complaining that I was flying masters, instead I was welcomed.  It
really makes it fun when the competition is this tough.  I try to
learn things from guys I fly against to improve.  There are things
I've seen Glen do, that i thought presented better than how I did it,
so therefore, I might adjust something.   I'm
sure others have done it with my flying.  i want to see these guys at
their best.  I dont sit around hoping a guy blows something.  If I get
beat, i want it legitimate.  Glen and I went back and forth at the
NATS. It made it a lot of fun.  This year, he won...who knows next
year.  I was glad to see him win.  He's paid his dues and certainly
earned it with his flying.  I think it makes it more fun when the
competition level is there on a weekly basis rather than just at the
NATS and I'm looking forward to flying against Glen more the rest of
this year as well as the other guys down here.  Mark Hunt, Lance, BW,
Jeff Carder, those guys really push me knowing they will be there, and
I'm sure they will be on their game.

Arch