[NSRCA-discussion] Points system

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Aug 14 08:13:34 AKDT 2007

You must have missed my earlier post...copied here...

Why do we have one? (point system)

Not to play devils advocate but do we really have that many people trying to
³cheat² to take home an extra plaque?  Yeah, some people hang around a class
a little longer than others, but I don¹t ever recall someone staying beyond
the point where peer pressure failed, and we had to rely on an un-enforced
point system to get the job done.

I mean lets face it...if there¹s a guy just tearing up the advanced
circuit...winning everything in his path, A) he¹s going to get pretty bored
with that at some point B) he¹s going to get heckled to DEATH at some point
from the Master¹s guys calling him chicken since he¹s clearly afraid to
compete against kids his own size :)  and C) and this is a big ³C²...  Who
cares??  If I¹m flying Advanced against him and continually having my A$$
handed to me...then apparently there¹s room for my flying to improve.  I can
choose to improve it staying in Advanced until either the aforementioned
sandbagger moves up and I can claim victory with my inferior flying against
now inferior competition, OR I can choose to bypass all together and move to
Masters and get a new challenge having never won the pinnacle of the
previous class, but feeling confident in my own abilities.

MORE importantly...if I fly for fun?  Which I really think about 50% of the
flyers in pattern do, then I can hang at whatever level challenges me,
provides me with the best ³reward² level for my time and investment, and
maximize my ³fun².

I think the ³point² system should be little more than a guideline for the
avid competitor who¹s goal is to move through the classes, gain proficiency,
and who¹s target is winning in FAI.  It¹s a guideline to know when it¹s
maybe time to move up, to prevent moving too early, and yet stay on a good
course for becoming the best.

For the rest, I think it¹s a non issue.

I¹m an avid golfer...I suck, but I¹m avid.  My handicap says I should be
playing from the blue tees on most courses...  But on a given day, I¹d much
rather go out and shoot an 82 from the whites, than post an 86 from the
Blues.  Just my preference...it¹s more fun.

My .02

-Mark