[NSRCA-discussion] Nose-Rings: O-ring replacement forCHnosering?

Tim Taylor timsautopro at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 05:59:20 AKDT 2007

I just sanded down the surface of the engine to fit right then made all my engines the same size in that spot. I too couldn't find a good fit O ring and I must have 1,000 in stock.

"Woodward, Jim" <jim.woodward at baesystems.com> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Following up on the nose-ring thread.  This is pesky little piece of necessary equipment.  If the nose-ring is too tight, all kinds of funny things will happen with bolts shaking out, or maybe the nose-ring mounts breaking.  Before I really clued into the CH nose-ring not allowing rotation as it should, the nose-ring bolts were backing out every 3rd flight and would rub the spinner backplate.  After this happens a few times the 4-40 thread would not be good and it would need drilling out in favor of passing through the 4-40 and using lock nuts.  However the locknuts wouldn’t seat correctly because of the angle of the bevel – IE there is not enough spacing from the 4-40 holes to where the bevel begins to allow for
 a washer, or just even a lock nut to seat properly against the flat spot of the ring.

  I recognize there are fixes to it but will go ahead and try the nose-ring seen at this link from Jerry’s website:    http://www.buddengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NRSWNR&Category_Code=P

  This nose-ring is more similar to our old favorite from Clayton Foster, and has a nice flat section where you can use a washer and locknut to secure it to the plane.

  Also, I have 3 YS 160’s.  All of them had too tight of a fit to allow the nose-ring to work properly.  I had made some NR out of 1/8” plywood and lined them with split fuel tubing as the best way to get the proper acting nose-ring.  However, given some shortness of time and such, it is nice to buy the product that fits right from the start so I am going to try the nose-ring depicted on the front of this assembly from Jerry.

  Thanks,
  Jim W.