[NSRCA-discussion] YS Engine Mounting in Composite plane - reducingvariables

Woodward, Jim jim.woodward at baesystems.com
Thu Aug 9 05:16:00 AKDT 2007

Just to follow up on yesterday's email - I finished the YS install last night and it went just like I thought it would - easy.  Besides a pesky blind-nut, which I ultimately removed all in favor of locking nuts, this was the easiest and most precise install I've done yet.  Installing the nose-ring first, then supporting the assembly with a temporary spacer beneath the motor mount, made the process much easier.

Each install is somewhat dependant on the airframe, but I do think that starting with the idea of removing the building tolerances is the best way to go.  The glue joints for the nose-ring are the smallest and easiest to control.  Without the firewall installed, you have GREAT access to the nose of the plane.  Then, with the entire assembly secured to the nose-ring and supported by the spacer, you can easily fit the firewall to the back of the motor mount and plane. The idea being that the firewall should be able to press against the back of the mount without pressuring or deforming the fuselage.  So, off to other areas - hardest part was easily done this way.

Thanks,

Jim W.