[NSRCA-discussion] E-power

Dave Reaville dkrev at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 18 08:44:28 AKDT 2007

Hi Rex et al

Yep sadly this has happen to me as well. Hard lesson when you have a World Class, multi- FAI Canadian Champion on the sticks trying out your plane and you inadvertently load up a set of used packs. ARGHHH! (Lets just say it wasn't one of my best weeks of RC memories and leave it at that.)  Totally preventable.

You need a system that provides checks & balances to ensure that you don't find yourself in this situation as it's hard on batteries, planes and nerves :-). For a time I was using a method (from Chad Northeast) that had the leads wrapped together to indicate a charged set. Once unwrapped for use in the plane they are left that way until they are recharged.  This method works well for 10S setups and those running separate 5S packs that had both leads at the same end. It did work well for me but I have since gone to the new FP F3A pack's that, through weight reduction design, has the leads at opposite ends of the pack.

I agree with Don A. that the voltage check is the only real assured way to confirm pack state. You have to come up with a routine that confirms the voltage prior to flight. I wrote a K-Factor article years ago on the CATT process I use before takeoff. Controls, Antenna, Trims, Timer helps me negate any "issues" with these items once airborne. So I now need to come up with something that includes the battery state.

As my canopy is the last thing to go on (switch is inside for that ultra clean look :-) maybe something simple like ABC for Aircraft - (wing attachment bolts?), Batteries (both the RX and main pack voltage check) before Canopy... I don't know for sure but something like that as we humans need all the help we can get.

Food for thought,

Dave