[NSRCA-discussion] Focus II

Ed White edvwhite at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 16 09:48:20 AKDT 2007

John,

A long time ago in a K-Factor someone published an
idea for a simple pipe mount.  It consisted of a piece
of music wire that wrapped once around the pipe.  On
both ends of the music wire there were small loops for
screws to go through to attach the mount.  Finally you
slipped a length of fuel tubing over the wire to
cushion the pipe from the wire.  Light, cheap and easy
to make.

I used this method on my Focus II.  Mostly so you
don't need to try to attach anything to the fiberglas
pipe tunnel.  Actually you don't even need additional
screws, I just used the screws that hold the pipe
tunnel to the fuselage.  I had two of these rings.  If
the music wire is fairly light (think I used about
0.040 - 0.045) and the loop is a little loose, the
pipe can move a little so you don't load the header.
It worked great.  Two downsides.  First is you need to
make something to prevent the pipe from sliding aft.
I used a short length of wire from the aft mount back
and around the pipe exit tube.  Second downside is
make a couple spares, the music wire eventually
fatigues and breaks.  I think I replaced 2 mounts in
three years of flying.  Don't even think about it
without a header brace.

I don't think I have any pics of this and the Focus
came out on the short end of a mid-air.  Contact me
off list and I can make up a sketch if you can't
visualize it from this.

Ed