[NSRCA-discussion] Landing Direction

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at tx.rr.com
Sat Apr 7 15:15:07 AKDT 2007

I haven't seen the problem in contests I've been to.  Generally the CD will
declare takeoff direction is pilots option, if the winds are light/variable
and the field and contest can tolerate it.  Otherwise a direction of takeoff
is stated and followed.  This can happen on a calm day if the CD prefers the
uniformity of it.  The only time the proposed scenario would occur is if the
permission is there to fly either direction, which is not that often.  If it
is in place, then someone could possibly change landing direction
unecessarily, but since most contests have a defined manuver direction and
there is no requirement to let someone land downwind, any pilot planning on
this game will find themselves burned over time.  On the other hand, if this
helps a sportsman enjoy his day (and many sportsman are not traveling
competitors) then is this really a problem?

--Lance