[NSRCA-discussion] Wind correction

Glen Watson gwatson11 at houston.rr.com
Sat Sep 30 10:49:50 AKDT 2006

Wind correct or not to wind correct which would you score higher?

I realize ED started this thread asking not for a rules interpretation.
However after reading a few of the comments in response to ED's question I
am wondering whether judges consider wind correction a requirement or an
option when scoring maneuvers. Or scoring someone differently who flies with
slight wind correction vs. a necessary exaggerated wind correction needed to
preserve the shape of a given maneuver.  Truth be told I began thinking
about this during the Master's final at this year's NATS where we competed
in challenging wind conditions.

Sooo.what does the rule book say about wind correction and track?

The following was clipped from the current AMA rule book.

(Track) The trajectory or flight path of the center of gravity of the model
with respect to fixed ground reference.

(Wind correction) An alteration of aircraft attitude made for the purpose of
compensating for the effects of wind drift on the track of the model. All
maneuvers in RC Aerobatics are required to be wind corrected in such a way
as to preserve the shape of the maneuver in the track of the model as
described

(Precision) Grading of maneuver precision will be based on how well the
model tracks the shape of the individual maneuver as described in section E,
Description of Maneuvers. All maneuvers in RC Aerobatics are required to be
wind corrected in such a manner as to preserve the shape and symmetry of the
maneuver in the track of the model. All straight lines, both horizontal and
vertical, will be graded on the track projected by the model. Changes in
attitude of the model to maintain a straight track will not be reason for
downgrading the maneuver.

The rules are very clear in this regard that wind correction is a
requirement.

Now let's consider the Diamond Eight in the 06 Masters sequence.  If the 45
degree legs are flown without wind correction it's impossible to present the
rolling crossover points at center.  Instead the entire maneuver would be
displaced some distance to the down wind direction.  I ask if flown without
wind how would it be possible to score higher than someone who flew with
wind correction if the other elements of the maneuver where flown properly
by both pilots i.e. radii, rolls, line length etc?

In the 07 Masters sequence there is the figure M.  Like the Diamond Eight
the maneuver center (center radius) is affected dramatically if flown
without wind correction.  If the first vertical line up and down are flown
with no or less than necessary amounts of wind correction the center radius
and entry radius end up being different sizes to adjust for centering.
Whoohoo figure M can't wait!

Glen

  _____