[NSRCA-discussion] Wind correction

Ed Deaver divesplat at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 30 10:07:44 AKDT 2006

Thanx everyone. this is the discussion I was hoping for.
  There actually isn't a correct answer, just opinions to my original question.
  Ed

Earl Haury <ehaury at houston.rr.com> wrote:
          It seems that crosswind conditions are of most concern to many, they shouldn't be. Keep the nose into the wind a "nearly appropriate" amount provides a "show" of wind compensation, while a little drift off plane is difficult for the judge to detect. Probably the need to apply the nose to the wind attitude during rolls creates problems for some.

  The real difficult wind is that strong and parallel to the runway - this will really mess with geometry, ground speed, and airspeed. The speed issues have an effect control effectiveness, making it difficult to maintain radii / roll rates / etc.

  A view of Ed's issue might look like this: At a recent meet the wind was strong and mostly parallel to the runway, let me tell you about the "squares" I judged in Masters and Advanced. Those starting at the bottom were generally entered with proper windage and attitude (to the wind) increased as the aircraft slowed (vertical track), then the radius to the next "horizontal" leg was 90 deg in attitude - leaving the radius track short several degrees and the "horizontal line" climbing (a point or two gone), the radius to the downline varied from enough to get vertical with no wind compensation in attitude (more than 90 deg radius) to another 90 deg attitude radius (now the downline attitude is downwind) - really bad for the track (and another point or two gone) - very rarely did anyone compensate for the wind at all on the downline, finally the radius to a level horizontal line (most got level) required a more than 90 deg track radius (another point gone) - so depending on
 severity of wind compensation errors this thing is 4 - 7 before any consideration of other factors. A rarer version was flown fast with no wind compensation on the upline - track off a little ( 1/2 - 1 point gone), top radius OK and top line horizontal - likewise radius to downline, downline flown fast with no wind compensation - track is off (another point gone), bottom radius is 90+ deg to get to horizontal (another point) and this thing scores maybe 7 to 71/2 before other factors.

  Now the guy with the 4 compares his score with the guy with the 71/2 - gee, wind correction doesn't pay! Be very aware of the fact that both have significant downgrades before any other errors might be downgraded - not many squares are really square, rolls often aren't centered or the same rate, etc. and all drive the score lower. Compensate for the wind properly and the maneuver score goes up 2 1/2 to 6 points in this example!

  The point is that properly executed wind compensation pays big rewards! (Note also that I use the term "compensation" instead of "correction", the latter infers an error is already made and fixed (gotta be a downgrade there somewhere), while compensation infers the wind forces are accommodated to ensure proper geometry!

  Earl