[NSRCA-discussion] OK it's time to stir things up.Where'sthebeef?

Gerald Gallagher ggall at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 28 10:25:21 AKDT 2006

So true, Great information.

Jerry Gallagher

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of george w.
kennie
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 2:08 PM
To: NSRCA Mailing List
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] OK it's time to stir things
up.Where'sthebeef?

<<<<Has anyone got any stats on the effectivity of the pattern primers?
I know of some new guys who've come into it this way.>>>>

Just by way of encouragement to those who may feel some degree of
frustration at their lack of results in trying to entice the local genre
to give pattern a try. In my local area, there are several clubs that I
hold memberships in and these people have watched me fly sequence upon
sequence for about the last eight years.Some of these individuals
display some degree of interest/desire while others view my efforts with
outright disdain.
My feeling is that there is not a heck of a lot you can do on and
individual basis to induce someone to apply themselves to the pursuit of
our passion.There has to already be some competitive/challenge aspect to
their basic personality that makes them want to conquer the unknown
difficulty eating away at the root of their psyche and if it just
happens to be pattern that fires up their competitive drive at that
particular time we may have discovered a possible conscription.
For all the years that I have been exposing the locals to our particular
art-form the peanut gallery has not contained the enlightened/gifted
someone 'til the last year or so. About a year ago one of the local
sport flyers who I had not previously known stepped forth and informed
me that his hero was none other than CPLR, and one day his intent was to
replace Christophe on the World Podium. Well I did everything I could to
encourage him to realize his dream and this year I prodded him into
attending a local primer (which he felt was a long way to travel) in
which he finished 1st in Sportsman.
Now let me tell you that this individual is by no means an accomplished
pattern flyer, but the result of this simple achievement produced a
knee-jerk reaction in his local club, as there were other individuals
who, feeling that they were certainly every bit the flyer as he, decided
that they could duplicate his performance.
By the next contest, we had two new participants and lately there has
been another individual expressing a serious interest in joining the
ranks. And we have noticed a couple of more guys paying close attention
to the goings on.
The important thing to remember here is that these results don't stem
from anything that I did, but what a beginner has been able to
accomplish with minimal determination. An example set by an individual
who is regarded as an equal is far more effective than some fantastic
demo put on by someone who is viewed by the audience as occupying an
unattainable status.
Just wanted us to know that I feel quite thrilled about these gratifying
results. Thanks for listening.
G.