[NSRCA-discussion] OK it's time to stir things up. Where's thebeef?

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Thu Sep 28 06:48:50 AKDT 2006

Mike

After each WC a Team Selection Chair is selected and that person develops a Team Selection Program with the assistance of the Team Selection Committee, which is them voted upon by the previous TSP entrants. These are the folks that need to be influenced. I agree that returning to a  system that required everyone to qualify in a meaningful manner would get more "name" folks to local meets - I've wondered why their sponsors don't require it (the answer is often the sponsors want these folks promoting products in a different venue). But remember - those affected are voting for / against the program.

Some felt that the programs years ago needed some way to limit the number of competitors to those actually qualified - pattern was the place to be and just flying in the "Masters" was a big deal - entry levels could be very high. Eventually higher fees were used to limit entrants as it became difficult to participate in enough contests to meet qualification standards. (Usually one not only had to compete, but place well to get qualification points). There were "bragging rights" just for qualifying.

I prefer a qualification program and a stand alone Team Selection Competition (much like the "Masters" used to be) but the participation level vs. cost simply makes this impractical. TSC event costs are typically around $5000 (and someone must step forward to host the event), making the entry fee steep when there are 15 - 20 entrants. Many competitors find cost / time force them to choose between the TSC and the Nats - so in effect these events have / would compete for entrants.

Incorporating the TSC into the Nats is a logical and cost effective solution. Entering F3A at the Nats just gets Nats participation, paying additional TSC fees provides the opportunity to compete for a spot on the Team. Only the top competitors (and a few that pay the fees as Team support) enter the TSC - others fly the same program for Nats honors. Losing a few competitors who live in regions were qualification at local meets is very difficult won't help. Waiving qualifications for immediate past Teams / Nats Champs doesn't encourage these folks to attend local meets. As priority is to put forth the very best WC Team USA, the current system works well in making it easy for any WC Team aspirant to give it a shot.

Earl

Team Selection Committee, Dist VIII