[NSRCA-discussion] OS 140Rx pump question

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 26 04:27:14 AKDT 2006

Since moving to the northeast ~20 years ago, I've burned probably 1,000 gallons of S&W, and I've occasionally run varied oil contents w/ w/o castor, in everything from 2C 32, 50, 60, 140, 150, 160s piped and unpiped, and 4Cs 56, 72, and 120.  Mostly Webra, OS, YS, and Saito.  I never found a benefit to running pure synthetic.  With 2% castor, corrosion protection and bearing life is clearly better, and I've never had a problem with varnish/gumming in pumps or on wristpins.  Might be worth noting that S&W uses only medical grade castor and over the years S&W has eliminated most of the middlemen in the supply chain for ingredients in the fuel, so all the ingredients are very fresh and direct.

I've always run engines dry, and used after run oil (either Mobil-1 synthetic or Amsoil MP).  And, for those that need to know, I'm not sponsored by S&W, Mobil, or Amsoil.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

From: "Rick Wallace" <rickwallace45 at hotmail.com>

John -
dunno about fuel being the issue w/ your engine. Without re-starting the 'fuel-brand' war (almost as much fun as the 'radio brand' war) I've burned more than 100 gallons of S&W in the past 6 years, virtually all through 3 OS 14RX's, ALL with 17% synthetic oil / 2% castor, and there's been no gumming problem inside the engines at all.
Others' experience may vary with fuel brands, but I doubt that castor gumming is your issue here.
Needle settings: both my 140 RX pipe setups are essentially identical;  One of my (acquired used) 140 RX's sets at about 1-1/2 - 1-3/4 turns open, another (also acquired used) sets at 3/4 to 1 turn open (both with 160FX-style remote needles mounted on the firewall FWIW) I havent' noticed a difference between the two in throttling once the needle is set.
At least one of the engines has had the pump played with by a previous owner, and the first time I ran that engine he gave me over-the-phone instructions on how to adjust the pump to make the needle valve work.  I haven't touched the pump setting since that day.
I do favor setting the pipe length long on your setup ... I KNOW you're not short of power on your setup, and a long exhaust system will handle very nicely, be tolerant of needle settings, be less peaky, etc. You won't miss the few RPM you lose by pulling the pipe out a bit.