[NSRCA-discussion] cost of electric - now engine choice

Wayne Galligan wgalligan at texasairnet.com
Thu Sep 21 19:43:15 AKDT 2006

Kelly,

I have been running the OS 1.40 for 5 yrs now and it is a great motor.  I
use the Aeroslave (about $170) pipe and a Karl Mueller header($45) and set
the pipe at 26" from the center of the plug to the baffle and run 15% Cool
Power. An OS "F" or YS four stroke plug works well.  The baffle is about
12.5 inches from the end of the pipe.  The Aeroslave pipe has been a great
pipe for this motor. It produces great power and torque and is very quite
and best of all very light at less then 3 oz.  The Karl Mueller header is
hard to beat and is a work of art. I have never broken one yet. His header
is machined so well you need no gasket at the exhaust outlet.  Karl can
custom bend one(rise) for your particular application.  Support the pipe at
about 4" from the stinger and your set.  I use  Dave Brown soft mount and
secure it with a tie wrap.
This engine is very reliable and predictable as far as when the bearing
needs changing.  It will start to load up in midrange and then probably
stall when spooling up the rpms.  One other way to determine if bearing is
getting bad is move the prop at the tips and feel for any movement.  A good
bearing will be tight and when worn will display some movement at the tips.
I use Bearings limited brand ($3.50 each) and leave the seals in them when I
change them out. I run the engine dry after each run and don't use after run
oil. Use a pliable gasket seal at the carb seat in addition to the o-ring to
prevent any air leaks to help keep it reliable.
You can run 17x12 APC, 17x13 APC, 18.1x10.1 APCW, 15.75x10 3b APC( Dave
Lockhart repitched) and I have also used a 19x10 c.fiber Mejlik with good
results.  The setup will handle all of these. Which one works best for you
depends on your style of flying and the speed envelope you plane presents
best at.
Hope this helps.

Smooth FLying...
Wayne Galligan
email if you have any questions or want photo's.
wgalligan at texasairnet.com