[NSRCA-discussion] berg 7 channel Rx

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 13 19:49:02 AKDT 2006

Basically, the way our standard servos work is that they trigger a one shot
on every pulse received.  The output of the one shot is a pulse of opposite
polarity to the input pulse whose width is controlled by the feedback pot
position  (corresponds to the servo arm position).  These two pulses are
summed and if any error signal exists (if they don't match exactly in pulse
width), the error signal is stretched (made wider) and amplified to drive
the motor in one direction or the other to resolve the error signal.

The electronics are "dumb" in a standard servo and within certain timing
limits, you should be able to increase the effective output torque by
increasing the sampling rate of the pulses that are fed to it.  I don't know
that it would be exactly double, but it should go up.  This is because the
motor is not driven at 100% duty cycle when it's running, i.e., it receives
a train of stretched pulses, but not a pure DC voltage level.

Ed