[NSRCA-discussion] Neat airplane

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Wed Sep 13 05:08:26 AKDT 2006

On Sep 13, 2006, at 6:27 AM, brett terry wrote:

> Another low-price pattern plane using the same power system is the
> Fashion 50.  Has anybody tried one of these planes?  Atlanta Hobby
> has a good deal on them here:  http://www.atlantahobby.com/
> shopexd.asp?id=6119
>
> I think an OS 50SX or YS .62 would be perfect.

I have a Fashion 50, which I converted to electric using the BP
3520-7 motor, a BP 60 amp ESC an Apache 18.5 volt/3700 mah battery
pack and an APC 13x6.5 E prop.  The conversion was very simple:  I
used a piece of 1/8" plywood to bolt the motor to and used the
existing blind nuts in the firewall and some nylon spacers from Ace
Hardware to bolt the plywood to the airplane's firewall.   I had to
use the spacers to get the motor far enough forward in the cowl.  It
weighs 5 lb 7.7 oz.

The recommended CG location is  not very good.   It is is more than
an inch too far forward.  Anyone  trying to fly the Fashion with the
recommended CG will need more  elevator throw than recommended and
will find the the airplane will require excessive down elevator to
fly it inverted.  I just installed everything in my airplane where it
was convenient and it balanced just over one inch aft of the
recommended point.  Then I did my own CG location calculation and it
was right on the CG I already had.  The CG could stand to be a bit
further aft, but I haven't tried moving anything yet.

I love the Fashion 50 I have.

Ron Van Putte