[NSRCA-discussion] YS160 Piston problems (props too)

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 05:35:39 AKDT 2006

I'm toying with a modified bolly 16.5x12 3 bladed prop. I modified the tips a bit. It turns about 8300 on the ground, (which is 100 rpm fatser than the 2 bladed APC 16.5x12w) idles about 1900 comfortably, and has a really smooth flight speed and transition. With that much power, ZERO problems with vertical. it actually runs slightly cooler than the APC 16.5x12w, which was my favorite prop.

It's also really quiet with the tips reshaped. I haven't tried one stock on this engine yet. I haven't really decided if it's "the" prop yet, but it's the smoothest prop I've tried yet on any engine combination. The OS 140 really didn't have the power to spin it so it's been sitting in my box forever. I'm also playing with the APC 18.1x 10 that I got from Jon Lowe a while back. Both work well, but I'll need some more wind to really make a decision on which one I like better.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out if you're interested.

I would like to hear more about the cracking of the pistons so I'll know what to be looking for; I'm burning about a case a week right now.

-Mike