[NSRCA-discussion] The true meaning of S&G-trust me....I know

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Tue Oct 17 14:54:45 AKDT 2006

S and G equal or implies slow and better control????? Once again this is
read between the lines, then say it enough and it gotta be right ...right.
If you, a Masters pilot  told a whole generation of Sportsman pilots  that
even though the rules say NOTHING about how fast a roll is, a proper roll
is slow =S&G then when they are Masters they will spew the same BS.  I
think thats what we have here. To me, a crisp roll that starts and stops
at the proper points is harder to do, and thus shows more control, but
regardless I score it exactly the same as a slower roll that starts and
stops at the proper point..all other things equal- and I do beleive thats
what the rules say.

For those that want to imply the S&G is a main scoring point I think you
as a person are missing some kind of "romance" in your life and are trying
to apply it to a bunch of toy airplanes....Some how showing your belly is
not a romantic as showing your top....which under some circumstances I
would agree with but not on an airplane.

Smooth means do not be jerky...speed has nothing to do with it. If you go
too fast then you MIGHT get jerky. If you as a judge, are downgrading a
manuever because it is faster than what you think it should be, and you do
not have a true recordable downgrade then you are damaging Pattern. If you
EVER tell a Sportsman or Intermediate such drivel the you are damaging
Pattern.
Graceful means God knows what  and hence the problem here-Wait....Graceful
applies to the judge, which means do not be an Icehole by applying non
written rules.

By the way, in my opinion, ALL of my posts are extremly GRACEFUL.  If you
disagree, you are just plain wrong, I know, I am a Master Poster.

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radome and Composites Engineering
Raytheon