[NSRCA-discussion] Masters 2007 Figure "M" question -- nowjudgeing the M

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 14:05:46 AKDT 2006

Smoothness and Grace implies the rate at which the various elements within maneuvers are entered, performed and exited. Lower rates in general, (unless the requirement is for fast and specified as such, like snaps) look better. They paint a better (and possibly easier) picture of a pilot in control. Smooth entry of rudder in pt rolls for example as opposed to herky jerky (but precise) rudder application. A looser constant radius entry into a fig M looks better than a sharp pitch entry that takes a moment to find the subsequent line. And in that same fig M the half loop should have same radius as the entry and exit so the manuever would look strange if done with very hi rate (tiny radius) looping elements.

SG is a necessary part of Pattern judging standards as long as pattern is a smooth and precise sport. We need to put our heads together and produce some reasonable options as to how to critique it and score it appropriately

SG has nothing to do with the direction one chooses to stall the model

MattK