[NSRCA-discussion] Streamline

Jay Marshall lightfoot at sc.rr.com
Tue Oct 17 10:52:43 AKDT 2006

N0. Still fighting poor assembly
.

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of colin
chariandy
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:44 PM
To: NSRCA Mailing List
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Streamline

Jay

Did this fly yet?

Colin

Jay Marshall <lightfoot at sc.rr.com> wrote:
10/10/2006 - Day 1

Received via FedEx in perfect condition. Upon inspection the covering is
excellent and tight. Further inspection shows there isn't an assembly
manual. Finally found a mini-CD taped to the end which had the manual in a
PDF format. This is a builders plane - very little in the way of
instructions. Lots of pictures but few words!

Streamline is an apt name. It is only 2.5 in wide. Just about a profile
plane. Ailerons are full width. Control surfaces large - more like a 3-D
design. The cowling is un-trimmed. Manual calls for C.A., P.A. and A.B. glue
(just pictures). AB is two part glue, assume epoxy. Don't know what P.A. is.
Wheels are probably too small for grass. Lots of rudder however the hinge
line is 4.5 in. in back of the elevator hinge line. Both the elevator and
rudder servos are tail mounted. Light, fragile construction. I'll have to
take a close look at the small hard mount for the LG.

Don't know where the kit was made or where the manual was printed. Not in
the USA but not too bad. All metric.

Hinge material is substandard. The hinges are circular cutouts appx. ¾ in.
in diameter. They seem to be inconsistent in that some of them have
plastic/Mylar center layers and others do not. Best plan would be too
replace all of them.

Firewall has no epoxy on it and the blind nuts for the engine mounts are not
installed. These will be tough as you can't get your hand inside. There is
absolutely no info on where the mounts should be located! Can't tell if it
requires offset or not. This is going to be difficult. I hope the center of
the fuel tank hole is also the required center for the mounts. Right now I
plan to use the O.S. FL-70 engine, but this may change.

The fuel tank seems to be small and I'm going to have to measure the
capacity. Replacing it would be a problem because of the 2.5 in. width.

The tail wheel is hard coupled to the rudder. This is a no-no for grass and
I'll replace it with a spring coupled unit.

The horizontal tail feathers were assembled - all that was necessary was to
put a drop of CA on them. DON'T! The connecting rod between the elevators is
not glued in and if you glue the hinges now you can't slide the assembly
into the fuse slot. I did and ended up cutting the hinges, re-slotting,
installing the feathers, then re-hinging. Bummer.

Jay Marshall

  _____

Make free worldwide PC-to-PC calls. Try the new
<http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/> Yahoo! Canada Messenger with Voice