[NSRCA-discussion] Impressive pattern plane

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 04:36:16 AKDT 2006

I have the chance to fly the Abbra gas version.  Also, I flew the glow version using OS 160.  Unfurtunetely, I did a trim fly only and not a complete Master schedule using the gas version.  The engine was not completely broke in.  I do remember that up lines were a little lazy compared with the OS 160 (I think more work needs to be done to select the proper prop).  The breaking on downlines were really nice.  If the ZDZ 40 F3A is 6-8 oz littler than the old version I will predict the ZDZ 40 F3A is going to be popular power plant in pattern.  Also will open pattern for the pilots that don't like glow or electric.

Important.  The plane was first built with no soft mount.  I really didn't like the vibration levels.  As consequence, the one aileron fluttered really bad.  The plane was saved.  We replaced the engine mount with custom built soft mount by Mr. Merle Hyde.  It was incredible experience to see the vibration reduction and the noise reduction with the hyde mount.  Conclusion, if you are planing to use the ZDZ 40 F3A do NOT hard mount the engine.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

From: mike mueller <mups1953 at yahoo.com>
 That is really great info Lance. I'm hoping somebody we know does one so I can see how it runs. Mike

Lance Van Nostrand <patterndude at comcast.net> wrote:
I'm sure a lot of you know about the soon to be released ZDZ40 F3A, which will be lighter than their 40 rear exhaust.  I am not an expert and know little,but I've fielded several detailed requests to determine if the large engine will fit inside the large chin cowl of the AeroSlave Symphony.  At about 5" wide where the engine head goes, it appears to be enough for a 2.2" head, even on a soft mount.  With the finished weight of glow and electric Symphonys hovering near 10#, the extra engine weight minus the smaller fuel load seems like it could finish out about 10.5#.

Please don't take this information the wrong way.  I'm a modeler, competitor like anyone else and I like cool things and this would be cool.

--Lance