[NSRCA-discussion] AL welding with Durafix!!

Ed White edvwhite at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 6 05:33:04 AKDT 2006

I've had similar experience.  There's a knack to using it that I  haven't picked up.  My joints are functional but ugly. Often there  is some porosity.  I have used it on 4-stroke exhaust to repair  pipes and repair a slimline Pitt's muffler on a YS140.  4-stroke  exhaust temps are no problem.

  One problem I have using it is getting and keeping the temperature  right, too cold it doesn't flow (probably why I get porosity), not very  much hotter and the aluminum gets soft.  One thing I haven't tried  that might be helpful is to use one of those non-contact temperature  guns.  It would have to go to 800 F or better.

  Ed

Bob Richards <bob at toprudder.com> wrote:  Fred,

  I've used it on a mousse can  muffler on a two stroke and it is still holding up. Not sure about a  four-stroke exhaust, which can get a lot hotter, but I suspect it would  do ok.

  Bob R.

Fred Huber <fhhuber at clearwire.net> wrote:
      @page Section1 {size: 8.5in 11.0in; margin: 1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; }  P.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  LI.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  DIV.MsoNormal {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  A:link {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlink {   COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  A:visited {     COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {   COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline  }  P.MsoAutoSig {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  LI.MsoAutoSig {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  DIV.MsoAutoSig {   FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New Roman"  }  SPAN.EmailStyle17 {   COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-style-type: personal-compose  }
 DIV.Section1 {   page: Section1  }      The product has been around a LONG time.  first time I saw it was at an RV show/sale event appx 30 years ago.

  VERY careful cleaning of the metal to be joined is needed.  Stainless steel brush is mandatory.

  There's a bit of a trick to getting the stuff to work, but once you   have it figured out it does a decent job on stuff that doesn't get hot.  I have not tried it on an exhaust.