[NSRCA-discussion] Bad sportsmanship - was Avoidance

Dave Michael davidmichael1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 5 18:16:14 AKDT 2006

Having only one pattern contest and many scale aerobatic contests behind me,
I will offer this.  As has been discussed, avoidance has always been used in
Scale Aerobatics - at least for as long as I can remember and that's a
number of years.  I cannot ever recall a single time when an issue of any
type resulted from someone calling avoidance.  As a matter of fact, I have
personally had to avoid more than once on a single sequence- sometimes you
just get in sync with the other fellow and you are constantly in each
other's way.  When you have as much as $10K occupying the same airspace good
sense prevails and the benefit of the doubt is given.

Some points that I haven't seen in the other posts:
1) noone wants to break sequence.  It really can throw you off your rhythm-
usually, when someone has to avoid, they come back from the flight
complaining about it.  You're in "the zone" and all of a sudden you have to
break and bam- you are trying to get reset mentally all over again.
2) many times the conditions when pilot A is flying are not the same as when
pilot F flies later on.  Sun goes behind a cloud, sun comes out from behind
a could in front of you, wind picks up, it starts raining, there's a crash
on the runway in front of you, etc.. (all have happened to me and probably
most of you, too).  Having a fellow competitor call avoidance is small
compared to these other changes in condition from one flyer to the next that
we already accept.

I consider it an advantage if my competitor is having to call avoidance- not
a disadvantage that he can.  So why penalize him further?  Let him start
over again after the last scored manuever.

Dave Michael
Avoiding all the way  <G>