[NSRCA-discussion] Bad sportsmanship - was Avoidance

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Thu Oct 5 17:39:44 AKDT 2006

OOps on the other one (if it went through...) double-clicked "reply" and it
went without my adding my comment.

MY IDEA FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

As long as the pilot announces he's avoiding a mid-air... and it looks like
there was a chance of one.. give the guy the bennefit of the doubt and let
him do whatever was needed to avoid... then whatever is needed to get back
in track to finish his flight.

Its in keeping with the "safety delay" clause... and less disruptive than
him having to land and request a refly due to avoiding a mid-air. (following
letter of the rulebook... risking the refly being denied)

Just to be reasonable... if you are judging and aren't sure if you should
allow the guy to make the deviation... put down the score for the affected
maneuvers as  "0 / X" (X being the score if not zeroed for the deviation)
Then tell the sheet runner that you'll want to talk to the CD and pilot
after the round is done.
(again, minimizing disruption to the flow of the contest)

You end up with just the one or two maneuvers being disputed... instead of
the entire rest of the flight.
If there's a dispute about allowing the deviation... and it is ruled
allowed... you have the score.  If not... you know where the zeros go.

****

That make sense?  Sound reasonable?