[NSRCA-discussion] Bad sportsmanship - was Avoidance

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Thu Oct 5 13:42:35 AKDT 2006

I'm sorry...I have to jump in here.  Are we REALLY worried about someone
using this to bail out of a bad maneuver and cheat??  I mean really.
I'm not saying it won't happen.  I'm saying do the rest of us care??
It's the same argument that goes to the whole issue of the points system
and sandbagging.  I know it happens...and I'm sure some idiot wins A
contest because of it...  But that's just what it is...an idiot...and A
contest.  Is it a little frustrating??  Sure...  but it's not something
I think we should revamp all our rules to try and avoid.    I'm as
competitive as the next person in this sport, but if someone wants to
win a model airplane contest sooooooo badly that they have to cheat??
Whew...they have WAY bigger problems to deal with...let 'em win.   The
same goes for people throwing a hissy fit at a local contest because
someone was allowed to move to the bottom of the order because of a
technical problem or something.  Same issue...if they're really doing to
that to garner an advantage...they have issues.  And if the person
complaining is that afraid of having them fly against them...well...they
have issues too.       BTW, the Nats are a slightly different
story...the stakes are a little higher, and the rules as we have them
need to be fairly strictly enforced.  But most of the time...this is
supposed to be fun/friendly competition.

On that same note though, I'm not sure an Avoidance rule would help us
much.   I think it creates a number of issues, and would save very few
airplanes if any.    I see more damage done to aircraft on horrible
landings because the pilot tried to force a bad approach rather than go
around and take the zero.

-Mark