[NSRCA-discussion] Takeoff tech. in crosswind.

White, Chris chris at ssd.fsi.com
Thu Oct 5 03:24:41 AKDT 2006

I've always been able to stay pretty close to centerline of the runway
using full scale (light aircraft) piloting techniques....hard aileron
into the crosswind, I start with some back stick to help keep the
tailwheel traction, opposite rudder as required...a throttle up
immediately after release to approx what Del is saying...then a smooth
power up with gradual release of back stick and the upwind aileron.

I typically use wing low and opposite rudder on crosswind landings for
the same reason.  (The "Wing low" technique will help you stabilize the
approach early and also determine whether the crosswind is
negotiable...if you aren't running out of rudder it is negotiable:-))
As you probably know, when extreme gusts and crosswinds are
encountered...."pretty" becomes secondary to positive control:-)

Chris White