[NSRCA-discussion] Why we really NEED to score the TO/Landing (was: If you don't score by therules....don'tadvertise a rulebook event)

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Wed Oct 4 10:24:26 AKDT 2006

I probably would have been lynched if I applied my idea of "fair" to scoring the 0 or 10 takeoffs/landings.  If you can't give it an intermediate number... then you have to pick where to change from 10 to 0.  The generally applied choice was... it wasn't worth a 0 in a 0 through 10 scoreing... it got 10.

What I wanted to do (but didn't because it would have been inconsistant with ALL others) was to base the line on the class being flown...  Sportsman if it rated lower than a 5... 0. (because I couldn't give it a 4)  Intermediate break would have been 6.  I didn't judge higher... but Advanced would have broke at 7, Masters at 8.. and FAI 9. (2 mistakes on FAI takeoff would have Zeroed takeoff or landing)

The consensus was basicly.. don't break the plane and get it on the runway made a 10.  Nothing smooth or graceful required.

I saw a few close calls even with the 0 or 10 scoring of takeoffs and landings... under the extremely lenient system of assigning the 10's.  Make the contestants earn every point on thier takeoffs and landings... they'll have to practice them and you SHOULD see less incidents because the pilots should be more competent at the maneuvers.

I've been known to burn full tanks of fuel doing take-off... 1/2 cuban.. touch-n-go.. 1/2 reverse cuban, touch-n-go... stall turn... touch-n-go...  (note that half these touches are downwind...) Thats what it took for me to learn how to bring a plane home in one piece.

A smooth graceful landing is a safe landing (and I like seeing a well executed 3-point with a taildragger)  And ability to track straight on the runway for takeoff despite adverse wind, to make a "scale appearing" takeoff is smooth, graceful and safe. (and deserves to get a better score than slapping the throttle to the firewall and leaping to 6 ft ASAP to minimize judging time)

Takeoff and landing are where smooth and graceful REALLY count.

Slapping the throttle to the firewall actually makes the takeoff harder anyway... as evidenced by the scale P-51's at big bird events.  You will often see one of them doing that and paying with major damage to the model for trying it.  EVERY big bird event I have ever gone to... 1 to 3 models damaged or destroyed by slapping the throttle rather than smoothly accellerating.  And you can't get the pilot to admit it was his fault.. "Crosswind gust got me"  "Musta been a glitch".....  You can't fix your bad habits if you won't admit them... same guy next year, another P-51, and another ground loop.