[NSRCA-discussion] Impression or precision judging?

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Wed Oct 4 05:22:25 AKDT 2006

Question:  Isn't a part of S&G the balance between manuevers?  Let me explain, the pilot that to better job in keeping 3D distances (high/low altitude, and distance from the judges). Also proportionality in size of between manuevers.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone

From: "Lance Van Nostrand" <patterndude at comcast.net>

I'm a ditto head to Dave on this one.  I can't imagine a situation where someone could fly perfect precision -  I mean  really perfect with all lines straight, radiuses matched, etc that should not get scored all 10s.  How would the pattern be flown differently to introduct S&G and maintain 10s?  Should a very smooth and graceful sequence flown with a bunch of 9.5 precision scores (actual defects that cause a .5 point downgrade) be given 10s?  If we were to eliminate S&G and have only downgrades for precision errors then judges must interpret S&G critically in that S&G flair can hurt but not help a manuver.  truth is, pilots will use S&G to mask precision errors, or to mask difficult timing and centering issues.  I watch pilots much better than me get away with murder but do it so purposefully and smooth that judges don't seem to even see it.

Eliminating S&G from the judging criteria would not eliminate S&G from flying nor from judging, but it would weaken it as a reason to downgrade.  If all you can say is that the manuver seemed technically correct but there was "something" wrong, then what you are really saying is that it was not technically correct and you saw the downgrade but you just can't put your finger on it in your conscious mind.  I would be OK with admitting that was my limitation as a human judge and I will not penalize the pilot for it.

--Lance