[NSRCA-discussion] OK it's time to stir thingsup. Where'sthebeef?

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sun Oct 1 05:21:58 AKDT 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 8:08 AM, John Ferrell wrote:

> This is a real problem!
>
> We have quite a few flyers who come to fly on Saturday and don't
> plan to fly
> on Sunday. They don't want a motel bill, another day away from home
> or to
> miss church on Sunday morning.
>
> Borrowing on Dr. Phil's terminology, two days is a "deal breaker".
>
> Unfortunately, it seems the avid competitors are just as firm with
> two days.

My problem with one-day contests is that it isn't even a one-day
contest for competitors who have to drive several hundred miles.  The
average distance I drive to a contest is 310 miles.  It takes about
five hours.  If it is a two-day contest, three, four or five rounds
can be flown on Saturday and one or two on Sunday, resulting in
approximately a 2:30 P.M. departure time for the return home.
However, for one-day contests, there's still that desire to get home
reasonably early in the evening.  In order to do that, you'd have to
cut a round or two off the Saturday total.

I would drive 50 miles to a one-day contest, but not much further.

Ron Van Putte