[NSRCA-discussion] Electric Brio Weight Savings

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Fri Nov 17 15:59:31 AKST 2006

Thanks for the info.

I had a plan of action to save weight but I think I need to improve the diet
Miss FatStuff will be on

Matt

In a message dated 11/17/2006 5:10:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
AtwoodDon at aol.com writes:
Matt, my fuse was about 38 oz.  I finished the Brio without using any carbon
replacement components or light wheels, etc, and it came out at 11 lb 5 oz.  I
took out 3.5 oz just by going to carbon stab and wing tubes and lighter
wheels. I flew it at that weight (11 lb 1.5 oz)for a while until it had an
unfortunate glancing blow with Terra Firma which helped remove more weight by breaking
things off the plane  .  I fixed the fuse with CA and 1 oz fiberglass cloth
and ended up weight wise where I was before the crash.  There is a lot of
filler around the cheek cowls, edges of the chin opening etc that broke off during
the impact.  A nice thing about electric is you don't have all that oil to
worry about.  Either during flying or during repairs.

I continued to fly it at that weight but there are several other things
remaining to remove weight such as lighter battery, carbon gear, replace rudder (2
oz alone), shorter battery wires, etc.  By going to a lighter motor (I am
using a AXI F3A) and lighter batteries, it would be easy to take out another 6-7
oz.  For classes below FAI, the mah usage is enough less to get away with 3700
or 4200 mah batteries.

That is why I said 'under 11 lbs easily'.  However, if you start off with a
heavier fuselage, it might be a lot harder......

Hope someone comes out with a new Brio kit.  It is a very nice flying plane
and I would build another, just not from the old Piedmont kits.