[NSRCA-discussion] Electric Brio Weight Savings

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Fri Nov 17 13:09:36 AKST 2006

Matt, my fuse was about 38 oz.  I finished the Brio without using any  carbon
replacement components or light wheels, etc, and it came out at 11 lb 5  oz.
I took out 3.5 oz just by going to carbon stab and wing tubes and  lighter
wheels. I flew it at that weight (11 lb 1.5 oz)for a while until it  had an
unfortunate glancing blow with Terra Firma which helped remove more  weight by
breaking things off the plane  .  I fixed the fuse with  CA and 1 oz fiberglass
cloth and ended up weight wise where I was before  the crash.  There is a lot
of filler around the cheek cowls, edges of the  chin opening etc that broke off
during the impact.  A nice thing about  electric is you don't have all that
oil to worry about.  Either during  flying or during repairs.

I continued to fly it at that weight but there are several other things
remaining to remove weight such as lighter battery, carbon gear, replace rudder
(2 oz alone), shorter battery wires, etc.  By going to a lighter motor (I  am
using a AXI F3A) and lighter batteries, it would be easy to take out another
6-7 oz.  For classes below FAI, the mah usage is enough less to get away  with
3700 or 4200 mah batteries.

That is why I said 'under 11 lbs easily'.  However, if you start off  with a
heavier fuselage, it might be a lot harder......

Hope someone comes out with a new Brio kit.  It is a very nice flying  plane
and I would build another, just not from the old Piedmont kits.

Don

In a message dated 11/17/2006 1:01:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,