[NSRCA-discussion] '08 F3A Rule Proposals

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 6 10:23:52 AKST 2006

Fred,

Electric planes can save weight because of reduced structural needs.
- no need to fuel proof (saves finishing weight).
- no need to withstand high levels of vibration (saves structural weight).

A well designed electric (plane and power system) can be just as light or lighter at takeoff than an IC plane.

The vast majority of IC competitors currently do have the choice to put more "in the tank" (be it actual engine, fuel tank size, or nitro content) or in the airframe, but few spend much time (if any) pursuing a more fuel efficient setup - those that do are taking off at substantially lighter weights than their IC counterparts.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

From: "Fred Huber" <fhhuber at clearwire.net>