[NSRCA-discussion] Radio repairs

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Mon Nov 6 09:24:26 AKST 2006

Colin,
I had an electronic failure on my 8UAF and sent it back to Tower.  They advised that the 8U series were prone to some bad solder joints on the main board, which they corrected. On mine I had lost effective RF Out and lost a plane because of it.
The unit, like yours, was quite old and had some case breaks from hard usage (dropped) so they replaced the case and the antenna so that when I got it back it looked brand new. I felt that my original antenna was still in better condition than the one they replaced it with, in fact, even though the invoice referenced that the unit had been retuned, the range was somewhat less than it had been before, not enough to cause concern, but nonetheless not as great.
At the time I sent it back, I went out and bought a new 9C and have been using that radio ever since, but I still like the programming in the 8 and wouldn't hesitate to use it in any of my current fleet. Oh, they charged me a buck twenty which I was more than satisfied with. I currently use it on my Sim and it performs admirably.
G.