[NSRCA-discussion] Some more lipo fire videos

Scott Anderson scott at rcfoamy.com
Thu May 25 09:08:28 AKDT 2006

Earl,

Excellent point !!!

Scott Anderson
D3 AVP
Team Tanicpacks.com
Team Castle Creations

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Earl Haury
  Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 12:32 PM
  Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Some more lipo fire videos

  All energy sources present a potential risk and must be handled accordingly. The LiPo fire videos demonstrate the potential for this source. Anyone have a video of a gallon of glow fuel or gasoline or Jet-A being ignited - say by a 12v gel cell shorting against a can? I guarantee it will be even more spectacular than the LiPo!

  My point is that we tend to become complacent with things we are familiar with. Gasoline is an extremely dangerous material - yet most of us are comfortable in using it and often get by with potentially fatal practice. Only the narrow flammability range of gasoline saves us. (And no - the lubricant added for model engines doesn't make it more safe.)

  How many have gallons of glow fuel stored in their home or garage? Not a wise thing - but again we get complacent after a period of good luck. (Then there were my trap shooting days when I bought gunpowder in multiple 12# containers - guess where that was stored.)

  The LiPo simply presents a new set of risks and failure modes. Overcharge the things or short them (dents can do this internally) and things get nasty. Care in handling / charging / using these things is mandatory - and yet we all make mistakes. Shorting them will get your attention immediately (extreme care is required when attaching leads). Crash damage has a high likelihood of shorting them internally / externally - so extreme caution is need here also (think gasoline dripping on sparking battery leads). The overcharge issue can be a matter of carelessness or of charger failure. Containment during charging is a really good idea, as well as a charge system that prevents overvoltage in individual cells (sets).

  I suspect that most charging errors occur with folks using a variety of size packs. The other (well discussed) issue is charger mis-identification of cell count due to trying to charge a charged pack. A little less risk if pattern equipment only is used. (I choose to use separate chargers for the large power batteries and the radio power battery to limit the error factor.) The inclusion of cell "taps" for monitoring cell (set) voltage and balancing also go a long way toward ensuring that a pack is healthy and behaving normally during charge.

  Bottom line - LiPo's present risk in the same range as other "fuels" - the safety procedures are no more or less important - but they are different!

  Earl