[NSRCA-discussion] Two killed by model airplane

brett terry brett.terry at gmail.com
Sun May 21 11:54:35 AKDT 2006

Even killing the engine only removes the spinning prop from the equation.
The mass of the plane still carries a tremendous amount of energy,
especially at "fly-by" speeds of 60-100 mph, or over 200 for some pylon
racers and jets.  An 11# pattern plane at 120 mph has roughly the same
energy as a 25# scale aerobatic plane flying 80 mph, or a 40# plane flying
around 60 mph.  Or, for that matter, your 2500 lb car at 5 mph.
Unfortunately the impact is typically focused about a single point, greatly
increasing the amount of localized damage.  Even getting hit by a wing would
feel like baseball bat.

I hate to even think of the damage caused by a direct spinner hit.

Scary stuff!

Fly safe,

Brett