[NSRCA-discussion] Aluminum 6-32 cap screws

brian young brian_w_young at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 18:32:44 AKDT 2006

Aluminium has poor fatigue properties compared to steel.

  Depends on where you are using them and size you choose of course, I have used 1/4" aluminum screws for wing attachments.  I would be real nervous using aluminum screws for engine attachments in the size we use there.

  I have had steel engine screws fail attaching the engine to the beam. Im using 4-40 to hold my 1.60ys to the beams and they dont last, just havent upsized them.

  Brian

Bob Kane <getterflash at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Has anyone tried using 6-32 aluminum cap screws in
place of steel screws? I personally have never
observed a steel cap screw breaking under normal load.
A Hyde mount would also lower the maximum load on the
mounting screws. Curious.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com