[NSRCA-discussion] weight limits for electrics?

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sat May 13 21:20:40 AKDT 2006

Larry,
 Sounds like you're doing fine. You are not over-powered by any means. No
such thing as too much power - it's like saying you have too much money! All
kidding aside, 200W / lb. is OK for pattern, but by no means excessive (as I
found out when I set up my Oxalys 50 electric). An OS 160 is about 2800
Watts. Oh yeah - now that's POWER. I fly that setup in Intermediate but I
also fly Advanced in practice. For Sportsman you don't need as much power
but in the Advanced sequence you'll be working real hard to make corners at
the top of vertical segments unless you have lotsa pull. Don't forget,
almost all pattern contests are flown in windy conditions (don't know why it
always seems to work out that way, but it does). Windy conditions need more
power. Now don't forget, if you lighten up the plane but still maintain the
power output you'll have more than 200W / lb. AND a plane that feels better
on the sticks. I would try to science out the batteries but don't let that
hold you back. Go out, fly and enjoy your first contest. You'll do better
than you think.
 Oh- You announce your take off and then you take off into the wind (no
duh!) after which you make the procedure turn (90 degrees in one direction,
then 270 in the opposite direction). Now you're headed downwind parallel to
the flight line. This is your "free" trim pass. Make sure the plane is
flying hands off. This part of your flight is not scored so make sure the
plane is trimmed NOW. You then need to turn around to head upwind and get
into the box. The best maneuver for this is the 1/2 reverse Cuban 8. Don't
do a stall turn! Do a 1/2 Cuban of some kind. Now, make sure you're about
150 meters (or slightly less) away from the flight line and get your wings
level. When you reach the box marker call "In the box". That's it. Fly your
sequence and may the Force be with you! Let us all know how you do at your
first contest. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.
John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com