[NSRCA-discussion] Flying into the sun????????????????

jonlowe at aol.com jonlowe at aol.com
Thu May 11 04:59:08 AKDT 2006

This happened during practice before the contest started, early in the
morning.  The sun was near one end of the box, and he pulled up, got
dazzled, and lost it.  Exactly the same thing happened to another flyer
at the Huntsville, AL contest last year.  Flyer is concentrating on his
line, and doesn't realize how close he is to the sun.  Not hard to do,
but has dire consequences.  Heck, I did it last year at an SPA contest
during a 3 turn spin.  Didn't mean to, but it endied up spinning right
thru the sun.  Fortunately, I was able to recover and complete the
manuever without harm when it spun out the bottom.  I have no idea how
many spins I actually did, but I got a good score as I remember!

Jon Lowe