[NSRCA-discussion] 2007 Advanced Schedule

twtaylor twtaylor at ftc-i.net
Thu May 11 03:49:03 AKDT 2006

Good morning Troy

You don't know me as we've never met but as one of the "movers and Shakers"
in the sport we love I'm appealing to you for your opinion. I've been
reading the RC Universe thread on "Pattern is Dead" quite closely. I've been
out of pattern for the last twelve years or so raising a family and starting
a business which left me no time to fly as I wanted to. In that time I've
sort of kept up with the advancement of pattern and contacts I made during
the heyday of my youth. I once was a very dominate on the Southeast pattern
trail and came up threw the old style AMA classes and advanced to the old
"Expert TA" when the class started and really loved flying it much more than
The old style but I saw many fliers unable/unwilling to make that change. At
that point pattern started dying off in these parts and has never recovered
to the level we had before. Why is that? I don't really know. I suspect the
cost involved in time and money to do it well is the two major factors. I
also believe that local clubs have leadership in place that flat refuse to
do anything outside of their "comfort zone" The "Old Fogies" will not allow
us to have any contests that require effort on their part. We must shake up
these clubs if we are to gain any more local contests. How do we do that?
The NSRCA has goals in the constitution and I see them as somewhat lacking
in scope and function. As the CEO of my company I set the goals for such and
then I must give direction to my employee's to achieve those goals or those
goals will never be realized. I don't see this being done in the NSRCA, how
do we fix this? Do we want to even try to fix it? I think we do. In my
opinion it doesn't take a rewrite of the NSRCA's constitution at all as we
can set the plan to achieve these goals. Given the correct procedures to
achieve these goals we can all start "Rowing The Boat" in the same direction
towards the goal and not in 359 other directions but straight at the target.
As the Captian of the ship the current leader of the NSRCA Lamar is the
logical one to lead the way and I believe he will. We as a unit can help him
at our grass roots level but we need the directions on where we want to go
and how to get there. Getting those "Directions" will be the hard part as it
will take a "meeting of the minds" to set the path we need to make it to the
goal. The question I ask you is "How do we get there from here?"