[NSRCA-discussion] 2007 Advanced Schedule

Dave Lockhart davel322 at comcast.net
Tue May 9 19:43:31 AKDT 2006

The group was chaired by Troy Newman (F3A)

Members were -

2 Sportsman

4 Intermediate

3 Masters

1 F3A

Additional support (schedule testers, as it were) included 1 Sportsman, 1
Intermediate, 2 Advanced, and 2 Masters.  Members were from all 8 NSRCA
Districts and included some folks who have been active in pattern <2 years,
some with 30+ years, some District and National Champions, and some who have
been designing schedules for 20 years.  If the 6 Advanced members represent
the "middle" - then you have equal distribution above and below (6 to each
side), and the core group is biased to Sportsman/Intermediate.

I hate to think any current NSRCA member who was a member at the time of the
vote for the schedules would lobby against them now because the vote didn't
go their way the first time.  I sincerely hope the AMA Board respects and
values the numbers behind and the NSRCA proposals and is not swayed by a
minority of vocal dissenters.

I've talked with many pilots over the years who realized the opportunities
they missed in a prior class when they move into the next class.  And after
moving up a class, you often realize what could have been in the prior class
to make the transition easier.  The benefit of hindsight is real.  F3A and
Masters pilots are the ones that (for the most part) have made the jump
through each of the classes - and that yields experiences that an
Intermediate or Advanced pilot does not have.  There are always exceptions,
but it is simple logic that more Masters/F3A flyers are capable of designing
appropriate Sportman/Intermediate schedules than the reverse (Sportsman
designing Masters).

And - just to reiterate another idea expressed in this thread - practice
should not be limited to the exact maneuver schedule.  Virtually every
competitive discipline I can think of involves focused training, cross
training, complimentary activities, etc.  The idea that flying Sportsman
alone should prepare someone to fly Intermediate is a bit lacking - just my
opinion, but I don't think I'm alone.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

DaveL322 at comcast.net