[NSRCA-discussion] 2007 Advanced Schedule

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Tue May 9 08:26:44 AKDT 2006

Yes Jon,
There are no inverted exits. The committee felt that inverted exits were not
the criteria for an advanced pilot. To really say it another way just
because the model doesn't exit inverted doesn't mean the sequence is not a
challenge. I will agree the proposal is a hair less challenging that the
current version. However the current version has many problems.
Let us look at the challenge aspect.

There is no bigger gap in the KF number on the proposals than now with
present Advanced to the Masters of today. My point is in looking at KF's
alone the 48 to KF of 67...The current schedules we have now is a jump from
50 to 68 so the difference is at worse 1 pt in the KF...

The opinion of the group was that if you can master the skills in the
proposed 403 then you are ready for the 404 class. Notice I said master the
skills not can you do the figures. Advanced is not intended to be a Masters
with less figures in it.

Pattern flying is about mastering and perfecting the skills at various
level. When asked why people fly pattern the number one answer is they got
started to learn how to fly better. What would you rather do....go up and
survive an inverted to inverted 8pt roll and get a 5 or 6 on it every
time...Or would you rather build the skill to do a upright 4pt roll at the
score of a 9 every single time and sometimes get a 10. Once you have the
skill of the 4pt roll then you can do one from inverted to inverted the
skills are still there.

We developed what we thought would teach skills...The current jump from 402
to 403 is large and yet the 403-404 jump is fairly small in the skill set
department. This is a fact of life that we are living with today. Remember
skills, not orientation of the model.

What is so different in the current to the proposals other than inverted
exits? Does having an inverted exit make you a better pilot? Does it teach
you to do a better 4pt roll or slow roll....If you can't do one upright and
score a 9 on it every time then why should we ask you to do one inverted to
inverted? The Advanced class is an intro to finesse type rudder, slow rolls
4pts, little fixes in looping elements like the 6 sided and triangle.

Lets look at the current schedules skills and compare skills.

Stall turn with and without rolls in current. The Proposal has stall turns
with 1/2s and a center stall turn component easy to see center on that
one...and must learn to think about roll direction. The current Adv doesn't
have this element.

Reverse Cuban both

1/2 square loop 2/4pt both

Slow roll both

Bunt 1/2 roll out both

Double I 1/2 on top full roll on btm.  In current but look at its
components...the triangle with full roll from inverted at the top takes the
full roll at the btm of the Double I..Then you have Immelman turn to take
the first part of this figure, and bunts to take the second half of the
figure...So all the skills are still used. Just you are not exiting anything
inverted.
Outside Immelman turn.....Bunt skills and Immelamnn skills in proposal

45 down negative snap...so proposal has a 45 down positive snap so does the
current Masters schedule..and that is a direct preparation figure right? How
does a 45 down negative snap help you prepare for a Masters with a positive
any more than or less than a reversed orientation?

Top Hat with 1/4's Both

Triangle loop with 2/4pt...Triangle with full roll, The 2/4pt roll element
is in the 4pt roll and also in 1/2 sq with 2/4pts

Push Pull humpty no rolls. This is a good rudder figure as there are no
places to hide the corrections...This skill of shapes can be seen in the 6
sided as it has no rolls and several radii that must match

Avalanche in Both

4pt roll in Both

1/2 sq with 1/2 roll in vertical in Both

Six sided loop in current FAI P-07 by the way and the proposed Masters 07

2.5 turn spin in current and 3 turn spins in proposal. Very similar skills
the major missing element is a 1/2 roll on the exit and I think that is
covered in the Bunt, Immelman, 1/2 sq with 1/2 roll up, Reverse Cuban with
1/2's,  and so on...

So the reality is I think the proposal cover all the bases the current
schedule does except one inverted exits....but yet adds in a  center stall
turn similar to the current masters to make it harder.

So Jon...in a first look the figures seem a little mundane...But the skills
are there and its things a pilot can build on and master not just survive
the figure. I ask this question. What good does it do a Advanced pilot to go
up and do a figure that he scores a 6 on every single time he flies it,
because he has not mastered the rudder skills needed to roll from inverted
to inverted. The current Double I with the full roll at the bottom because
its down low and the speed changes and pucker increases and other things
means he is not going to go out and work really hard on the roll with
rudder. Instead we see the guys blasting through it because they are afraid
to touch the rudder incase they give it wrong rudder.

What does an advanced guy do a bunch...?  Give it the wrong rudder! We have
all been through or are going through it. Rudder rolls like the bottom of
the Double I  are a very finesse rudder input. This is a skill that is
needed in Advanced and the group felt that Finesse rudder was one of the
main criteria in Advanced. Plus you are going to see this skill in the bunt
with 1/2 roll out...But instead its a 1/2 roll not a full roll. So the
advanced pilot can master the 1/2 roll then go on to use that later in the
sequence in the triangle while the model is up high and it can be seen.

So how do you teach your kid to ride a bike? Do you take them in the grass
so that when they fall its softer than the pavement? Do you add training
wheels to the bike so that when they fall to the side the wheels catch them?
Do you run behind and hold the seat, hoping that when you let go its not a
trip to the ER.

Well Finesse Rudder inputs are the same type of thing. We setup the proposal
to help an advanced pilot succeed. He is not being given anything. The
skills are still there and demanding, just not in the same place you would
expect them.

The current Advanced has 3 figures in a roll that are Immelman based. They
are teaching the same skills. All at the same time. The proposal tries to
link these skills and come back to them without doing the repeat thing
figure after figure.

This has been long enough...but I think you see where we tried to go with
the proposal.

Troy