[NSRCA-discussion] OS140RX pump issues

Dennis Cone patternpilot at verizon.net
Sun May 7 15:00:43 AKDT 2006

The problem with any material other than what is originally used is it will
not flex properly. Remember the vacuum and pressure within the crankcase is
what makes the diaphragm move. If it is too stiff it will not move at all.
If it is too thin it will move too much. It is only a few thousands in
thickness. The diaphragm works just like a reed. Both (there are two) have
to match and both have to move accordingly with the pressures within the
crankcase. Change the variables and they will not work. It has been my
experience that usually all that is wrong is dirt has gotten into the reed
area and the diaphragm will not seat. If this happens the pump will not pump
or allows fuel to flow through it unchecked. If you disassemble the pump it
is very critical to lay everything out as removed and reinstalled exactly as
removed. If you follow this procedure and after cleaning everything the pump
should work. But rotate a diaphragm or install backwards and the pump will
not work. I have taken many pumps apart and have always gotten them to work
afterwards. Beside if it is not working now what have you got to loose.

Dennis Cone