[NSRCA-discussion] Carbon wing tube question

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Tue May 2 05:19:05 AKDT 2006

John,
            The best "home-fix" that I have seen was done by Bob Noll on one
of my planes many years ago.

He used a 3/8" dowel across the diameter of the tube. He drills the dowel
lengthwise to accommodate a 4-40- bolt. Then he cuts the dowel in half and
sandwiches a 4-40 blind nut between the two halves.

Then you sand the ends of the dowel to match the curve of the inside of the
wing tube. Medium CA will keep the  retainer in place within CF tubes.

A very inexpensive and solid solution to your needs.

Regards,

Eric.

P.S. I do not drill the CF tube. A drill will split the fibers apart. I use
a pointed Dremel grinding stone instead to bore a hole.