[NSRCA-discussion] Tangerine Pattern Contest in Apopka

jonlowe at aol.com jonlowe at aol.com
Mon May 1 08:58:56 AKDT 2006

Thanks for the write-up, Jason.  Steve Homenda and Orlando Frets and
the rest of the RCACF team did a great job.  Too bad there weren't more
flyers.  The wind was a challenge.  When Jason says 20+ mph, he isn't
kidding, more like 25-30mph with gusts and 90 degrees to the flight
path the whole time.  Nobody missed the runway, nobody hurt a plane,
and I don't think anyone even hurt a prop.

Yeah, Brian Billings and I had a good fight in Intermediate.  His bad
flights were slightly worse than my bad flights, and that made the
difference.

Best part for me was seeing Ryan McLaughlin finally able to fly his
Impact with a consistent running engine.  Finally diagnosed the problem
as a a relatively high fuel tank gravity feeding thru the Perry pump
flooding the engine when the airplane sat on the ground, preventing
starts.  Clamping the fuel line with hemostats between flights cured
the whole problem that we had been chasing since Ocala.  If he is ever
able to trim his Impact in calm air, he will be an even bigger threat
in FAI!

I think moving the date to December on traditional Tangerine dates will
make this a big event, just perfect for northerners to shake out the
winter doldrums.  In the "old days" the Tangerine, and its predecessor,
the King Orange, was a destination event over the Christmas holidays.

On to Pensacola next weekend!

Jon Lowe