[NSRCA-discussion] Falcon F3A batteries

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Thu Mar 30 13:59:18 AKST 2006

I would put the wings on and batteries in at the car, lug it, another set of
batts, and the transmitter out to the flightline, fly, remove that set, put
in the second, run the first set to the car to charge, fly, remove the
second set, put in the third, run the second set to the car, bitch that the
first set wasn't quite done, fly, take the third set out, run to the car,
exchange the first set for the second set, install the first again and fly,
take the airplane and trans back to the car, remove wings, load and go home.
Several times from the time I left work and the time I got home was right at
2 hours total and the field is roughly 20 mins away to and from.  4 flts in
about an hour and 15 mins. with 3 sets at 1C charge rate.  5 flts would
start to stretch things out.  I left the scene about the time balancing
started to hit stride.  At 1.5 C you could get 5-6 in 2hours or so.  No
field box, tools, fuel, starter, paper towels and Windex, extra trips to the
car to get going; no clean up and hauling it all back to the car.   Of
course, there were more social evenings that took more time-but if I was 'on
a mission' to practice with limited time, the guys understood.  BTW, the
Hackers and Master controllers did just fine temperature wise.  Things
seemed so reliable in that department that I had asked Hacker how long b4 I
have to do some service on the motor and gearbox-they said to send it back
about every 300 flts and they'd clean and regrease the gear-set, replace if
needed(15.00), and the motor would run almost indefinitely.  With the
exception of installing the wings, it's like flying foamies-you do the same
stuff-just a little bigger.  Speaking of Chip, I noticed he processed 5 sets
at the Worlds'.  Man, that's livin'!   A small red Honda may be in my
future....

Richard